Monday, April 4, 2011

Akeela and the BEE...


zzzzzzzz....(sounds of a bee) i thought this is an animated movie...where a girl named akeela become the savior of the bee nation...but no! it is actually a spelling competition...spelling bee...

Entertainment value

i would say that this movie is not a blockbuster as Transformers and Shrek..however it is worth watching for the purpose of entertainment and moral value. the movie is about a girl who is very intelligent in spelling words..in fact she is a walking dictionary..there are lots of interesting and crucial scenes in the movie..the one that i remember is when Akeela purposely spelled wrongly during the final stage of the competition...it creates a very critical condition to the audience(for me)...one more thing is there is no antagonist in the movie..so..the director creatively end this film by making both of the finalist become the winner...i like that...

For me as a B Ed Tesl student

this movie showed me a way of improving my own English...although i joined TESL course, i still did not acquire the vocabulary much...it is because i dont use English frequently (including reading english books) by watching this movie, i feel like i still need to improve my proficiency...the girl is just a student and she acquire that much of vocab..if i want to be a good teacher..i need to work on my proficiency and accuracy more and more with the 'invention' of new vocabulary in my brain...

My Teacher...Teacher Maznah Ayob..

she was the one who forced me to join the spelling bee competition in my school...she said that i could easily win..."you have many things in your mind..just throw it and dont panic..you will win..i believed you"she said to me (its not totally what she said, its just the gist that i remembered) and i won the competition..she brought me to join in district level...however i lost in that level because i was rushing for my choir competition...i love her so much...

lesson for future teacher

Akeela is not a 'favorite girl' to contribute to the school...she was picked up as an underdog to become a winner..this is what i learned after watching this movie..not every students have interest in learning...they have interest in other things..just like Akeela...therefore, by forcing them to learn would not make any difference in them...teachers (me) should know what is their interest and teach them using their interest..or at least brush the interest to ensure their bright future...

No comments:

Post a Comment